(snippets and quotes)
Some thoughts when I read this book and absolutely successfully tested in practice
If you really want to help someone, you have to learn to use bait, rather than to give away fish.
“It is not easy to work with master nervous – especially when you keyed himself” – Benjamin Franklin.
Most managers are short of time when their subordinates are short of work.
Essential managers do more harm than good. Even were indispensable to give them a sense of security, usually soon replace them because block work. Moreover, superiors can not afford to raise people become indispensable in his current position because they have secured a replacement.
No sense to do good things do not worth doing.
My wife and I usually rip off monkeys from the backs of children.
“Do you want to win someone, do not let him know that it is up to you. Create a feeling that you depend on it. “- George Marshall.
“The quickest way to turn your friend into an enemy is to make him a debtor.” – Benjamin Franklin.
Whenever a subordinate came to me with a problem and I got the monkey off his back, like I told him, “You are unable to solve this problem. So I prefer to arrange it myself. ”
Those too polite people who constantly try to support others, actually do more harm than good. For all supported lose initiative and become dependent on their rescuers.
We, the parents, constantly doing something instead of children. Therefore, their monkeys burrow into our backs, and the children do not learn to take their own responsibility. In your genuine desire to provide them with all the good things that have ever been deprived, sometimes completely forget to give them the good things we have.
“Experience is built not just accumulated experiences, and the way in which we understand them.” – Isaac Newton.
The more you help others, the more dependent they become me. If too with their self-esteem and their confidence is undermined, and I do not have time for their duties.
Subordinates are not the main source of problems for managers in them lies the solution to these problems.
In each subject received in the same way. I apologize that I stopped work, and I promise this is the last time. Then I put the monkey on his back, leaning back in his chair and enjoyment watching them go through the door one by one, each with several monkeys dug tightly into it. Do not miss the same day to ask them all “How’s it going?” – Just as before they ever dealt with me.
The more you keep off monkeys to subordinate himself, the more time you can spare to the subjects themselves.
Thinking how to ease the work of their subordinates. Essentially work for them, but do their work.
Subordinates know how frustrating it is to work for bosses who never find time for them. So I tried to pry them more time than they to me. This was possible since increased the time devoted to them, but how quickly they can pay me. Make notes of things and our relationship with each meeting which marked the hurry to end the conversation: if they do not have enough time for me, this is a sure sign that they have become more independent.
Meanwhile his won glory of the most affordable manager I know. Can see me whenever they want (this does not happen too often), and for as long as they want (it is not much).
If you succeed as a manager to make subordinate yourself to eat and watch their monkey, your people will begin guide. And you finally leave you enough time for planning, coordination, implementation of new ideas, staff development and other important tasks of the head due to which your team will operate successfully in the future.
The conversation between the chief and his subordinates should continue until such time as each monkey received the necessary:
- Definition – Determine its next steps;
- Marketing – the monkey is allocated a certain subject;
- Insurance – to remove the risk;
- Food and appointment times – determined time and place to control development.
Monkey is the appropriate management personnel to carry out in due time properly what you need.
Rules of simian management should apply only to monkeys who have a right to life. This does not apply to everyone. If we can not conclusively answer the question “Why are we doing this” displaced monkey in the wilderness, you do not try to perform effective tasks that do not worth getting.
Monkeys are not projects or problems, but only the pressing step necessary to carry out the project or solve the problem.
Features of the four rules in monkey management:
Rule №1 – chief and his subordinates should be divided before they set next upcoming measures.
This rule has three main advantages:
- When my people know in advance that the conversation will end with the determination of urgent measures, they prepare our conversation much better.
- In every situation focuses on the activity of subordinates. In most cases, absolutely nothing moves before someone made the first step.
- Specific person designated to be responsible for the monkey often gets fourfold motivation for action:
- the more precisely we know what needs to be done, the more vigorously and diligently get to work;
- facilitates the performance of the first step is usually the most difficult;
- problem is decomposed into smaller bites that frightens us less because you have to think about the immediate tasks;
- gives us the opportunity to rotate their goals and next steps and pleasure that we achieve in achieving them gives us new incentives.
I personally require employees to submit their reports. That way I can get them to read the writing. Generally prefer to summarize written, which leads to saving two-thirds of the time required for reading the document. This enables me to ponder, to observe his face and ask questions.
Rule №2 – conversation between the slave and the head should be completed before any monkey to be supernumerary on one of them.
How to allocate the Apes? Believe me: the place of all monkeys at the lowest organizational level at which they feel wonderful!
- My men together have much more time, energy and knowledge of growing monkeys than I;
- My subordinates are closer to their work and than I, and so are better able to care for their own monkeys;
- Only if you assume his office foreign monkeys I could provide myself with a little time to distribute at their discretion.
We can instill in people a sense of responsibility only if it loads them with responsibilities.
We do not have a problem. I have a problem or I, or my slave. So do not let the monkey do the splits – it remains back to the rightful owner.
Sometimes silence or other awkward situation cause subordinated to grab the monkey and get away.
Rule №3 – before the end of the conversation between the boss and the employee, each monkey has to have insurance.
When subordinates have the right to act alone, they admitted mistakes. So monkeys are insured to ensure that subordinates will make only correctable errors.
There are two types of monkeys:
- Supply and then act – applied when you expect to make subordinate uncorrectable errors resulting from that you can not throw it away from work because you will not be his boss. It takes longer to control and limit the freedom of the slave, but reliable;
- Act and then immediately informed – is applied to monkeys that can successfully be controlled by a subordinate. Provides the necessary freedom for the slave and saves considerable time control, but is repaid with significant tension and at the last minute in case of failure.
In most cases, subordinates can choose the type of insurance as their decision should satisfy me. Prefer the second type only when they are confident that I would not mind to resolve the matter according to their views and inform me afterwards. Otherwise choose first.
If you do not agree with their approach, have the opportunity to change it. Moreover, guided by the principle of “maximum autonomy and optimal control”:
- Encourage subordinates to choose the second option insurance;
- Require them, if necessary, choose the first level of insurance.
Rule №4 – before ending the conversation between the boss and the employee must determine an appointment monkey.
Monkeys are reviewed for two reasons:
- To see how well you do the job and our subordinates to boast about;
- To identify problems and take corrective action before it comes to a crisis.
Entrusting of the apes – eminently ape management
When assigning tasks it comes to individual monkeys entrusting them – a whole herd.
Steps in ensuring entrusting:
- I can not commend the project only after having dispelled all my doubts;
- I can commit only after confirming to some extent that my employees know in general terms what they should do;
- It would be foolish to entrust the project to a person who does not ensure that it can meet the prerequisites – time, information, people, support and authority;
- I can not entrust the management of another person only after I was assured that the costs, terms, qualitative and quantitative aspects are acceptable;
- The more employees are involved with a project, the greater is the chance to bring it out to a successful conclusion. Or the more ambitious are my subordinates, the easier it is for me to commend them.
- This does not exhaust the steps custody, but they explain the method.
If both sides reach a belief that selected the right way and at the manager’s increased confidence in his subordinate, he entrusts his step-by-step most of the responsibility. Initial allocation of tasks to be carried out only moment subordinate himself to take the initiative.
Entrusted not a single act, and situation that leads to long enough introduction, giving managers the right to entrust full responsibility.
Enough experienced player directs the ball in a certain direction before his partner is heading that way.
Monkey management enables us to master time eaten our subordinates.
To succeed as a manager, you must maintain a balance between the three categories of time:
- During the boss – time for things that you would not have done if there is no head. Most often, at least to inform him. I always do what your boss wants. If you do not like, make him change his claims, but he always does what he wants. This does not mean that you should always keep your boss: the opposite – if you are always on the same page with his boss, one of them is redundant;
- Time system – needed to meet administrative and other requests from different people, different from superiors and subordinates. Formalities steal a lot of time, but it can never be avoided entirely. Trying to get around them, wasting time;
- Time for personal activities – time in which we do things, preferred by us. A collection of creative time (a good option) and care for the monkeys to subordinates (not good version).
Better to bring the right header curve bludgeon than a lifetime to gnaw it up. You have to spend the time necessary for the administration to work for me.
I measure success by how many manage to do my subordinates, not how I manage to do.
I learned to extract satisfaction from what my subordinates achieve.
If a company everyone cares for his monkeys can not distinguish who is a contractor and who – manager because everyone selflessly doing what is necessary to achieve high scores.
Us always rush more monkeys than you can watch. While not extremely careful to assess which animals to take responsibility, easily mistaken and most valuable specimens will fail a corner deprived of care. If you carelessly take care of all the flock will be scattered abroad so that no monkey will not succeed.